VMware Cloud Community
Cosz3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are no active physical network adapters for the switch

hello,

I am using vsphere 6.0. I try to change my uplink on my virtual standard switch. but when I went to step 3 "add physical network adapter" and I click the 'next'. I got this warning it says "There are no active physical network adapters for the switch"

no-physical-active-network.png

I have two network adapter: vmnic 1 and vmnic 0. I notice that vmnic 0 has Networks : 0.0.0.1-255.255.255.254, but vmnic 1 is empty. is this cause the warning.

vmnic 0 with netowrks

has-network.png

vmnic 1 without networks

has-no-network.png

I am quite new to vsphere. why does this happens? and what will affected by this?

I have met another situation: when I am created two vm within the same portgroup, but I do not know what static IP I should configure? therefore I configured two vm within the same subnet, they can not ping to each other. so what static IP I should configure for two VMs within the same portgroup, since they can not obtain IP automatically.

Any one could give some guidance please, thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mparayil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Are you trying to create new Virtual switch and not able to see any VMNIC's if so below reasons are the cause and resolution

a) How many VMNIC's does your host totally have and is it already used in different v-Switch on the ESXi Host ?

you will only be able to select VMNIC if it is not used by any other virtual switch on the Host ,only then you will find the vmnic to add it to new vSwitch

Note:  We can migrate a already used VMNIC's from standard switch to VMware distrubuted vSwitch but can not add during the creation of the vSwitch if the vmincs are in use as active or standby dose not matter.

You can remove one of the adapter and then try using it

Tow answer your second query on the VMNIC observer IP range NONE ?

Observed IP range is picked up by physical traffic or if CDP has been enabled on your physical network switch.

This range is generated based on the incoming broadcast packets it detects. Therefore, for NICs that see only unicast/multicast traffic, it displays None.

find the VMware KB

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards

Manoj VP

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Mparayil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Are you trying to create new Virtual switch and not able to see any VMNIC's if so below reasons are the cause and resolution

a) How many VMNIC's does your host totally have and is it already used in different v-Switch on the ESXi Host ?

you will only be able to select VMNIC if it is not used by any other virtual switch on the Host ,only then you will find the vmnic to add it to new vSwitch

Note:  We can migrate a already used VMNIC's from standard switch to VMware distrubuted vSwitch but can not add during the creation of the vSwitch if the vmincs are in use as active or standby dose not matter.

You can remove one of the adapter and then try using it

Tow answer your second query on the VMNIC observer IP range NONE ?

Observed IP range is picked up by physical traffic or if CDP has been enabled on your physical network switch.

This range is generated based on the incoming broadcast packets it detects. Therefore, for NICs that see only unicast/multicast traffic, it displays None.

find the VMware KB

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards

Manoj VP

Cosz3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your timely response,

For the second answers, if I create a vm on a certain portgroup, the vm static IP should be configure according to the uplink subnet, gateway ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Look at that status of vmnic1. It shows disconnected. You cannot add a vmnic which is disconnected to an active status on a switch. This is why you're getting that message.

0 Kudos
Cosz3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to let the status changed to  "connected"? to make it "connected" status, I need to let the physical NIC connected with an external physical switch, therefore it can get ip range, is it right?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You change the status to "connected" by connecting the NIC to a physical switch.