VMware Cloud Community
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The operation is not supported on the object.

VMware 6.7 ESXI 6.7

I just migrated three VM's from a Datastore Cluster NSF Datastores to internal Datastores to the ESXi hosts.

I need to shutdown the NFS devices for moving to a new Rack.

All VMs are running fine.

I wanted to migrate the three VMs back to the Datastore cluster.  But when selecting the datastores  The DataStore cluster devices do not show as available.

So I guess this is two questions.

1. How can I migrate them back to the Datastore cluster from the internal datastores.

2. How can I make the internal datastores part of the Datastore cluster.?   I tried that and I got this error   The operation is not supported on the object.

Any ideas

Thank you

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are supported drives and supported RAID controllers, and supported systems called vSAN ReadyNodes.

This should help: VMware Compatibility Guide - vsan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Update

I was able to Move the VMs to my NFS storage I needed to uncheck the Disable Storage DRS for this virtual machine  then all Datastores appeared

So now I only need to understand how to make my internal drives part of the Datastore Cluster or create another Data Store Cluster?

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can’t mix NFS and VMFS datastores in the same cluster: Datastore Cluster Requirements

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Scott

Thanks for the info

All my internal Disks are VMFS 6 

I could make new Datastore Cluster with all them

I have 4 Hosts in my DataCenter Cluster so all those drives can make up the New Datastore Cluster correct?

I see when I select the internal disk this warning Host connections missing

Any ideas?

Thank you

Tom

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your local datastores are not “shared”, they are only accessible by the host on which they reside.

If you want to “cluster” local storage, that’s vSAN: What is VMware vSAN? | Virtual SAN | VMware

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Scott

I tried Vsan in the past and it crashed the ESXI host as soon and something that tried to access the vsan

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thousands of customers use it successfully, there must have been something specific about your setup - there are specific requirements which must be met.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Scott said, you cannot put local data stores in a cluster. They aren't shared resources, so that's not how it works. Regarding your vSAN experiences: you don't just simply flick it on. It has its own set of requirements and practices. If you didn't adhere to them then that's why.

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Guys

Thanks for the information I will try vsan again

Is there a doc available to requirements and setup?

Thank you

Tom

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, the official docs. Don't "try it again"u you've verified you meet all the requirements. Just because you can run vSphere doesn't mean you can run vSAN. Different product with different compatibility requirements.

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I know

But looking for the Documentation for requirements and setup   Where?  I found it on the VMware Docs site

I have 8 Dell PowerEdge R430 8 processors 128 GB Ram  Gen 11

Each has 4 internal drives   1 SSD drive 128 GB and 3 Sata 4 GB  drives        The SSD is need for Vsan Cache correct?

I have two VCenters  running HA DRS etc.

Each vCenter has a Datacenter and a Cluster configured

I have a Vsan Network setup 

I believe I meet the requirements Do you have any thoughts

Thank you

Tom

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are supported drives and supported RAID controllers, and supported systems called vSAN ReadyNodes.

This should help: VMware Compatibility Guide - vsan

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Scott

Thanks for the info

Looks like I may need to upgrade my CPU's on the hosts.  I only have 4 Cores and 8 Logical CPU's

With 128 GB of Ram looks like to chart requires I have 16 CORES  

Contacting my Vender now to see the upgrade path.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos