VMware Cloud Community
msuvanto_MNIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The need to run a chkdsk equivalent on a attached datastore?

My storage admin just told me that they are seeing possible corruption (maybe false positive) on a m disk in a v7000 SAN.
As they cant see inside a LUN they have presented to my hosts the SAN admin is suggesting I should run a chkdsk equivalent on my LUN/Datastore.

I have never come across this before and a bunch of googling didn't make me any smarter in this matter.

Now, I am not seeing any corruption of my VM's running on that datastore and obviously they would not see anything as they are abstracted from the storage.

Would this be a chkdsk from the console of the ESXi host? or perhaps something I can do via powercli.  Any kind of service interruptions to expect or perhaps i should vacate the LUN/Datastore.

I spoke with my SAN admin and he mentioned he have seen false positives of corruption before on this array.

2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area for visibility.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

You can use VOMA utility on esxi hosts to check luns or vmfs datastore metadata checks VMFS file system metadata check. Here is VMware KB VMware Knowledge Base

Note: when you perform checks make sure you move all vms to another datastore or power off the vms and then perform the check against datatstore.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.