VMware Cloud Community
Catalyph
Contributor
Contributor

The host does not have sufficient CPU resources to satisfy the reservation

17 Hosts - Admission control is off

If I put 1 Host into maintenance mode, not all the VM's get migrated off, it is stuck with 1 or 2 that fail quickly with the error

"The host does not have sufficient CPU resources to satisfy the reservation"

even if I select a host with only 4% CPU usage

I have Admission Control disabled.

pastedImage_1.png

The cluster does have this Info block:

pastedImage_4.png

I dont know what that means or if it has anything to do with this issue, we have multiple clusters in the Datacenter,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What are the CPU reservations of the VMs which will not migrate?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Catalyph
Contributor
Contributor

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try and migrate the VMs manually. Observe any events or messages generated when doing this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Catalyph
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried to migrate the machines manually to every host, every one gave the same error.

0 Kudos
Catalyph
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a log I can check for a more detailed log of what the issue is ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"the same error” being?

0 Kudos
Catalyph
Contributor
Contributor

"The host does not have sufficient CPU resources to satisfy the reservation"

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It seems very strange that you’re getting that message with only 4 VMs, and that they have no reservations.

Do the VMs have snapshots, or any hardware settings which would “tie” them to that particular host?

0 Kudos
Catalyph
Contributor
Contributor

This specific Machine does NOT have any snapshots, or hardware settings out of the ordinary, in fact there are other machines that are clones of this one that migrated perfectly fine.

out of the 4 there is one with a single snapshot that is like 6 months old and 29GB large, then again there are other VM"s with snapshots that migrated fine as well.

There are usually about 40 VM's on each host

0 Kudos