VMware Cloud Community
ssSFrankSss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

System logs are stored on non-persistent storage

Hi,

I have installed 3 ESXi server connected to a vCenter on a 4th server. The three servers are running ESXi from USB. Now I get this error message: System logs on host [...] are stored on non-persistent storage.

Of course I have read the following VMware Knowledge Base

I did exactly as on video: Configuring a persistent scratch location using the vSphere Client - YouTube

Now I only have the vsanDatastore, as all disks on all ESXi servers are using all the disks.

Unfortunately I am getting, the image you see - I can not find any solution on google either. I would be grateful if anybody has any solution.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's not supported to offload these logs to a vSAN datastore, so what you will have to do is forward those logs to a syslog collector. If you have a vCenter license, what's probably simplest is to stand up Log Insight and forward them there. You get a free 25-OSI entitlement just by having a vCenter license.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree with dafnissov and adding that if you have an NFS, you can probably try to use that for log location

VSAN considerations when booting from USB/SD - CormacHogan.com

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
andya201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

My setup is similar to yours in respects to the vSAN and booting from mirrored SD cards.

I had typed the path in several ways according to the several KB articles. All erred out.

I watched the video to the link you posted, thanks for that, and noticed the person selected and copied/pasted the path from the datastore browser instead of typing. That worked on the vSAN. No idea's why though.

Since, I've added two small SSD's mirrored and have moved the system logs to that since I don't have a syslog server setup.

If possible, a syslog server, if not then add at least one physical drive. Either is a more direct target for ESXi to see and connect to without the overhead of vSAN virtualization extras.

0 Kudos
jUDASmILExAlmig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For vSAN environment, if syslog server and spare disk as logging device is not available in your side then you may consider to create a logging partition on your USB flash disk. It's quite simple which just to make sure you have sufficient space on your USB device.

1. First to create a new partition on your USB device, either fdisk or partedUtil is fine.

2. Then format the logging partition with "#vmkfstools -C vfat /dev/disks/<deviceID> -S scratch"

3. Remove existing /scratch by "#rm /scratch"

4. Repoint /scratch at /vmfs/volumes/scratch by "ln –s /vmfs/volumes/scratch /scratch"

5. reboot server and check if /scratch linked to new partition you just created.