VMware Cloud Community
Raudi
Expert
Expert

Swap File location when host in cluster

Hi,

i have reinstalled my hosts with 7.0.1 in a vCenter 7.0.1 and i noticed that it is not possible to configure the hosts "Swap File Location" when the host is in a cluster which has configured that the Swap File Location is on a Datastore specified by the host.

The  only way to specify a location on the host is to move the host temporarily out of the cluster.

Looks like "bug" to me.

Kind regards

Stefan

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello Raudi,

It is not a bug as the Host Configurations are inherited from the Cluster. First you need to select the Cluster configure the "Datastore specified in the host" option:

Screenshot_2.png

After you change this you can modify the Swap File Location in each host inside the cluster:

Screenshot_3.png

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert

As i wrote in my post, i have configured "specified by the host" in the cluster but i'm still unable to configure that on the host...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oh,

I misunderstood then what you were describing. when you said you cannot configure. Do you have the option enabled or you see it greyed out? Which user are you using to do this changes? Do it have the required permissions?

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert

I'm administrator@vsphere.local and the option to configure is greyed out. When i move the host one folder up to the Datacenter i configure this and then move the host back to the cluster. The setting is preserved and active....

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Got it.

I would love to replicate that but I have vSAN configured and I cannot remove the hosts from the cluster. But this seems is a bug for sure, I am also using vCenter 7.0.1 and ESXi 7.0.1 in a Nested environment but I upgraded it.

Let's wait, maybe somebody can reproduce your issue.

0 Kudos
KlonskyAdam
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you resolved this issue? I have the same problem with selecting swap datastore. Thank you.

0 Kudos
KlonskyAdam
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Workaround

• Put the host in maintenance mode
  • Remove the host from the cluster
  • Exit from maintenance mode
  • Datastores will be available to select for Swap file location
  • Once we select the desired datastore, move the host back into the Cluster.

Or
  • We can assign a datastore for swap file location using the below PowerCLI script:
         Connect-VIServer vcenter.youdomain.com
         Get-Cluster -Name "Cluster Name" | Get-VMHost | Set-VMHost -VMSwapfileDatastore "DatastoreName"
0 Kudos