VMware Cloud Community
BSiegfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Swap File Best Practice

I would like to hear your opinions regarding whether or not to change the VMswap location. If I'm not replicating vm's to a DR, any benefits on moving all swap files to a datastore in the cluster? Will backup performance improve?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

If you have a Flash-based local storage like SSD disks on your ESXi hosts, It's a recommended operation to use them as the virtual machine's swap file location. So Read Operations of that VMs can be executed very efficient.

Even you use a Disaster Recovery solution like SRM, you can deselect that flash-based datastores (that are provided for swap file) from list of Replicated objects in the vSphere environment.

Backup performance can be better if you want to create a backup when the VM is started and running because in the first state of backup generation, the backup system creates a snapshot from that VM and if the VM's swap file is stored in a SSD datastore, then because of higher read operation rate of SSD disks, time of snapshot creation can be fewer than usual.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem