VMware Cloud Community
GrahamBirdSpiri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Supported Topologies for Multiple sites of vCenter

Hello All,

We are planning a new deployment of vSphere across our business and we want to have the vCenters all operating in Linked Mode to allow for cross site administration and monitoring.

Looking at the VMware documentation - VMware Knowledge Base I can see there are 8 topologies supported, however what I cant figure out is how many Single Sign On Sites are supported.

In the depricated topologies they all used to support "1 or more Single Sign-On site" however the maximum listed in the supported topologies is "2 Single Sign-On sites".

Does this mean that the maximum supported number of Single Sign-On Sites is 2?

Our current plan is for 6 vCenters across our 6 Data Centers and idealy we would like to have 6 Single Sing-On Sites to represent each of these physical locations, is this supported?

The other thing I cant figure out is what a Single Sng-On Site actually provides, I am making the assumption that the site is used to contain Authentication locally to that PSC but the VMware documenation is not very clear on what a Site actually provides - Understanding vSphere Domains, Domain Names, and Sites

Cheers,

Graham

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If it is 6.5 U2 and above fresh deployment, site names are least considered. In 6.7, you have an option to move between domains and site so there should not be any problem.

Keeping all of them in same sitename is easy one and again its my opinion.

Thanks,

MS

View solution in original post

8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will be eased to know that SSO sites, which were just a logical construct and nothing more, are gone. The site is irrelevant, therefore, only the SSO domain. In order to have all 6 of those vCenters in ELM, they must be in the same SSO domain. This is made increasingly easy now that the external PSC has also been deprecated reducing the number of infrastructure components you'll be required to deploy at each site.

msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What is the version of vcenter?

You can install each VCSA in their respective site.. It is supported. Maximum PSC's you can have is 8 for 6.x so you can use upto 8.

If all the PSC's are in different physical sites, ensure to have the network latency verified..

Thanks,

MS

GrahamBirdSpiri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Msripada

We are using 6.5 U2b initally as this is the version supported by our HCI vendor.

Where can I find the details on the network latecy requirements?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
GrahamBirdSpiri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So are SSO sites gone as of 6.7?

We are having to deploy 6.5 U2b initally but understand that 6.7 will be supported soon.

So we can deploy VCSA using the imbedded PSC and just link each of these togheter in the single SSO Domain and just sepecify the one site name?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes and Yes. Latencies you can find in the product documentation.

GrahamBirdSpiri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks Daphnissov,

OK, it sounds like we just proceed with VCSA 6.5U2b deployed with PCS and VCS on the one Appliance and a Default site name, and then when the HCI supplier supports 6.7 we will migrate over.

Out of intereste do you know if the site name is removed from the PCS database as part of the migration?

Cheers,

Graham

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That part I don't know. It could be retained in the database but be effectively useless.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If it is 6.5 U2 and above fresh deployment, site names are least considered. In 6.7, you have an option to move between domains and site so there should not be any problem.

Keeping all of them in same sitename is easy one and again its my opinion.

Thanks,

MS