VMware Cloud Community
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Suddenly cannot ping and logon to vcsa

Hi, Host/ESXi6.7 ip address is 10.0.10.2 and the vcsa is located at the host. The vcsa ip is 10.0.10.3. PCs in the same network can visit the host through gui and ping, but suddenly cannot visit the vcsa though gui and ping. I restored it back to previous snapshot, but it still cannot work. Any one can give some suggestion? Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @gciscol,

From the starting point if you cannot even ping the vCenter Server but you can the ESXi then much probably you are facing a network issue that it could be related to configuration, connectivity, firewall, etc.

I recommend you do these quick tests:

1. Try to ping the vCenter Server for a VM in the same network.
  2. Try to ping the ESXi host from the vCenter Server VM.

If you cannot ping in any of the directions check inside the vCenter Server VM the next:

• Verify the netmask of the vCenter Server.
  • Verify the firewall of the vCenter Server operating system.
  • Verify to which portgroup is connected and the VLAN of that portgroup.
  • Try to disconnect and connect the vNIC of the vCenter Server again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It is okay you do not need to change it to E1000e and you cannot do it because the virtual machine is powered on. However probably you face some difference on the portgroups because of when the snapshot has been taken and the information it contains.

I recommend you to delete the snapshots if you do not need it and do everything with the VM powered off.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@gciscol 

VCSA = vCenter Server Appliance = a VM which runs a set of services collectively known as vCenter Server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

0 Kudos
9 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Do you have access to the VAMI in this situation? Try this: https://10.0.10.3:5480 and login with VCSA's root credential and check the status of all services.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@gciscol 

Moderator: Moved to vCenter Server Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @gciscol,

From the starting point if you cannot even ping the vCenter Server but you can the ESXi then much probably you are facing a network issue that it could be related to configuration, connectivity, firewall, etc.

I recommend you do these quick tests:

1. Try to ping the vCenter Server for a VM in the same network.
  2. Try to ping the ESXi host from the vCenter Server VM.

If you cannot ping in any of the directions check inside the vCenter Server VM the next:

• Verify the netmask of the vCenter Server.
  • Verify the firewall of the vCenter Server operating system.
  • Verify to which portgroup is connected and the VLAN of that portgroup.
  • Try to disconnect and connect the vNIC of the vCenter Server again.

0 Kudos
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Lalegre, You are right. When I check vcsa, I notice there is empty in Network Adapter. after adding one of Portgroup and change it to E1000e, it began to work! Thank you.

BTW, do we call vcsa as vCenter Server? 

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It is okay you do not need to change it to E1000e and you cannot do it because the virtual machine is powered on. However probably you face some difference on the portgroups because of when the snapshot has been taken and the information it contains.

I recommend you to delete the snapshots if you do not need it and do everything with the VM powered off.

0 Kudos
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@gciscol 

VCSA = vCenter Server Appliance = a VM which runs a set of services collectively known as vCenter Server

0 Kudos
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great, Thank you!

0 Kudos
cloudsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If Network utilization is high then also won't ping. 

0 Kudos