VMware Cloud Community
JLogan2016
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Strange issue with portgroup

I am working with a customer that just stood up a new vCenter environment for their non-prod VMs. I have been working with them to migrate all non-prod servers out of the prod vCenter (6.5 U2) to the new (6.7). The two are not in link mode, just temp shared storage, so I wrote a script to power down, unregister on old, register on new, power back up, then storage vMotion to new datastore cluster. We have been doing ~60 a week during the normal patch cycle, and it has worked out well - everything comes up on its designated portgroup and is good to go.

The problem comes in trying to deploy a net new VM. The customer has two main portgroups; VLAN1 for parent domain and VLAN2 for child domain. The person that set up the non-prod chose the exact same wording for the port groups, so it is easy to move a VM. Here is my current scenario:

• If I move a VM on VLAN1 from the prod environment to the non-prod, works
  • If I move a VM on VLAN2 from the prod environment to the non-prod, works
  • If I deploy a new VM on VLAN1 to non-prod from template (same template as is in prod), works
  • If I deploy a new VM on VLAN2 to non-prod from template, fails
  • If I move the new VM on VLAN2 from non-prod back to prod, works on VLAN2

I can see no difference in the configuration of the VLANs between prod and non-prod (UCS); just cannot wrap my head around what might cause this.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Zifu_invzion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Can you describe the error please? There is any error message or only dont have connectivity?

BR!

0 Kudos
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

Please give us a better failure description.

Does the VM fail to connect to the network?

Does the VM fail to acquire IP?

if the environment uses DHCP does the DHCP server receive a request?

0 Kudos