VMware Cloud Community
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor

Storage vMotion fails with error 195887107.

Hi, all.

I have to move all VMs to temporary datastores for datastore resizing.
All other VMs succeeded in storage vMotion, but one VM failed storage vMotion with error 195887107.

According to VMware KB, this issue is caused by virtual machines using disks configured with multi-writer attributes.
However, all disks attached to this VM that fail vMotion are non-shared attributes.

It is very difficult to power off this VM due to the service in operation.

Do you have any advice for me?
I need your help.

Best regards.
Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi to all

Today i had the same problem as you mentioned; we first thougt it is related to "Multi-Writer " issue; but it is not ;

Anyway, the solution is from below

https://blog.yahyazahedi.com/?p=1151 ; appreciate his work

long story short; expand the disk of the vm 1g in size; and it will fly away 🙂

i tried this solution ;and worked; i dont know the details but here is something from vmware

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-EDCF74B5-F652-4F2D...

The size of a virtual volume must be a multiple of 1 MB, with a minimum size of 1 MB. As a result, all virtual disks that you provision on a virtual datastore or migrate from any datastore other than the virtual datastore should be an even multiple of 1 MB in size. If the virtual disk you migrate to the virtual datastore is not an even multiple of 1 MB, extend the disk manually to the nearest even multiple of 1 MB.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, @bigslash

Thank you for your reply!

Actually, it's been so long that I don't remember what the customer's problem is and how they solved it.

However, if I encounter this problem again, I'll refer to your answer!

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
robertsl
Contributor
Contributor

I came across this issue today. I reviewed the aforementioned KB article and didn't see the multi-writer attribute enabled. Other VMs in the environment and on the host could storage vMotion properly. 

I ended up vMotioning the VM to a different host, which completed successfully. I was then able to storage vMotion the VM as needed. Again, I was able to vMotion other VMs on the host, so it doesn't appear to be host related. Not sure how this would be addressed in a non-cluster environment; perhaps remove/re-add to inventory?

0 Kudos