VMware Cloud Community
dsdavis08
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage Warnings

I have an ESXi host showing warnings on each of the drives I have connected. Here are details:

Dell PowerEdge R510

4X 4.0 TB Seagate HD (RAID 10)

Dell H700 SAS Controller

The drives pass SMART checks and HDD scans, and I cannot find anywhere in the Dell iDRAC software that there are actually any problems with the drives. But no matter what slot I connect them to in the array (Drives 0-7) I get this warnings in vSphere:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_0.png

I understand the "Host battery status" indicates my RAID card needs a new battery (Ordered). My concern is the "Host storage status."

This is under "Sensors" under host monitoring:

pastedImage_1.png

This is the event log:

pastedImage_5.png

Again, I cannot find anywhere in iDRAC, etc. that indicates there's a problem. The only indication that I can currently find there's an issue is in vSphere. I would be happy to disable this particular alarm if I could find the option somewhere (I'm open to that suggestion, if it exists). But I also don't want to discount the problem if there is one.

If I move the drives around on the host, whatever slots currently house the drives are the ones that show an issue. But I can't find any details as to what the problem actually is anywhere. In the interest of diagnosis, I have connected two additional 1 TB drives configured in a RAID 1 and they do not show the same error.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, all.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dsdavis08
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upon testing, it appears that the errors are RAID specific.

If I use 4x drives in RAID 0, there is NO error.

If i use 2x drives in RAID 1, there is NO error.

If i use 4x drives in RAID 5, there IS an error.

If I use 4x drives in RAID 10, there IS an error

I have tinkered with stripe size (512KB, 1MB, etc.) to no favorable result.

I have updated BIOS on the motherboard and firmware on the RAID controller.

0 Kudos