VMware Cloud Community
Marekiaro79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage Upgrade

Dear all good morning,

I hope this is the right place to post my request, I need your support to make a storage replacement at a customer.

Infrastructure has 2 nodes (clustered) esxi 5.5 and a san connected in direct attach 10 GB (dual ctrl and redundant connection).

what do you think would be the best strategy to replace this storage without stopping the customer?

which storage do you recommend to keeps me compatible with the version of esxi installed?

Thanks and regards,

Marek

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Regarding the replaced storage is up to you and for any new HW you can read the datasheet and check the compatibility with the existing vSphere.

But regarding the replacement scenario and due to the existing redundancy that you have, it is very simple:

• unmap one leg from each server from the old storage
  • connect the new storage to your SAN switches (if exist) otherwise connect the new storage to the unmapped legs on each server
  • map these legs to new storage

For Map/Unmap, if you have SAN switches so these processes mean zoning between storage and servers.

After you complete the above, you create new datastores from the new storage and you do a storage migration from vSphere side.

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Regarding the replaced storage is up to you and for any new HW you can read the datasheet and check the compatibility with the existing vSphere.

But regarding the replacement scenario and due to the existing redundancy that you have, it is very simple:

• unmap one leg from each server from the old storage
  • connect the new storage to your SAN switches (if exist) otherwise connect the new storage to the unmapped legs on each server
  • map these legs to new storage

For Map/Unmap, if you have SAN switches so these processes mean zoning between storage and servers.

After you complete the above, you create new datastores from the new storage and you do a storage migration from vSphere side.

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'll also add that ESXi 5.5 is way out of support, so your customer needs to also upgrade their vSphere to a supported version (at least 6.5).

0 Kudos
Marekiaro79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it is out of support but the Cisco servers that the customare have, doesn't support (or are certified) for other ESXI version that installed 5.5.

0 Kudos
Marekiaro79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, the solution is sure the most indicated for my case.

On the new storage I can use the same IP configured in virtual switch or I need to work also on this configuration?

In this case, I have to respect the currently configured parameters - like MTU etc..

In the case I would to add a 10GB switch?

This because the customer have a D.R. Site with 1 server and 1 storage only for replicas.

The storage is not visible for this site cause direct attach and the cluster may be with 3 nodes and I can manage all storage also in a cluster.

what do you think about?

Thanks a lot for your precious advice.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Customer needs to then understand the risk of running vSphere in a production environment without support. Good luck.

0 Kudos