VMware Cloud Community
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Storage DRS changing automation level by itself

hi guys

I use Storage DRS and I don't know why (I don't kow why I have not asked before)

the automation level keeps changing I have vCenter 6.0 and 3 vCenters and all of them do the same thing

- automation level changes from Default (Fully automated) to Disabled or Manual. Disabled 99% of the time.

- also I always use Keep VMDKs Together not checked and some VMs automatically checked

see screens this is how I found a Storage Cluster today, we receive alerts that datastores are getting full and the blade is the Storage DRS doing the stuff I just said

vmware.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hey guys

no one has experienced this?

thanks

0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you please check the KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2112843. Even though it is related to 5.x, you could see the recommendations as best practises.

Check the vmware.log file of the VM to find any related logs after the change in the status to understand what is causing this behaviour.

The rules may getting disabled due to some other rules dominance( possible). check from storage end for any specific rules which may cause this.

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
zik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am on vCenter 7.0.3.  The automation level keeps switching back to fully automated and I/O metrics get re-enabled.  I also see that the Keep VMDKs Together setting is ignored.

0 Kudos
MarcelVis
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue on 7.0.3
It changes my DRS migration threshold back to value 2

Do you already have a solution?

0 Kudos
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@zik @MarcelVis 

Some more info on this,

When a Storage DRS setting is altered there is the string "ClusterStorageDrsConfiguration" in the Vpxd Log.

Try checking this in the log and if would give you the session number that session number needs to be searched in the Vpxd-profiler log and it will give you more details of the user or any service account which is triggering this.

Regards

Harry

Big_Dave_G
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, seeing this also which wen trouble shooting SAN issues is an absolute nightmare.

0 Kudos
Big_Dave_G
Contributor
Contributor

So there was a Scheduled Task that runs every hour. This was setting everything back.

Task removed - Hopefully that'll do it 😁

0 Kudos
MarcelVis
Contributor
Contributor

Please let me know the outcome and which task it is

0 Kudos