VMware Cloud Community
wesley_yalipu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage DRS VM overrides item automatically created when adding a vdisk

Hi,

The Storage DRS feature is enabled on the datastore cluster and is working as expected to distribute VMs.
The issue we encounter is that each time we had a new disk on a VM, it will create en entry associated with the VM in the "VM Overrides" section configured with SDRS disabled.

wesley_yalipu_1-1605818626838.png

When adding the disk using the HTML5 UI, the "Datastore Recommendations" window pops out and we select "Apply". Shortly after, an entry appears :

wesley_yalipu_0-1605818600787.png

I don't understand why the feature is disabling itself after adding a vDisk.

vCSA v6.5.0.33100

Thanks,
W.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @wesley_yalipu ,

Do you select datastore cluster or a individual datastore when adding the new disk ? If datastore is selected manually, SDRS gets disabled for that VM during that time. 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
wesley_yalipu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

There isn't much choice when adding the disk.

wesley_yalipu_0-1605900544265.png

I can only accept the unique proposition. Note that this suggestion displays one of datastores from the datastore cluster.

0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

Check over this kb:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/79936

wesley_yalipu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks @ZibiM , you nailed it.

Cool to know there's a patch for 6.7 and 7.0 ; we're on 6.5 😅

Any fix for vCenter 6.5 VMware ? Removing the automatically generated VM override rule is a huge pain point in one's workflows.

0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah

This issue is bothering me as well

What was really interesting that I was unable to find any mention about this fix in the release notes for the said vcenter 6.7 u3

0 Kudos