VMware Cloud Community
AlyushinVladisl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Start VM only one node

Hi! I have vmware 6.5 essential kit license with 2 nodes. I want run Virtual Machine to only run a one node. How a can this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You want to run a VM only run a one node? Not sure what you mean, can you please clarify?

0 Kudos
sandu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In your HA cluster you can set an affinity Rule to run on specific node.

0 Kudos
AlyushinVladisl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it's Cluster - configure - configuration - VM/Hosts overrides ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, if you're trying to run this VM on only one node (ESXi host) and not have it run on the other, this would be a DRS Host-VM affinity rule and is under the DRS portion of a cluster.

0 Kudos
AlyushinVladisl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have DRS in my license, this function disabled.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then you'll have to manually register the VM on the node on which you want it to run. Since you're licensed for Essentials you also don't have a license to vMotion. Where you place the VM to run is where it can run and nowhere else.

0 Kudos
sandu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From vSphere doc:

1. Browse to the cluster in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
  2. Click the Configure tab.
  3. Under Configuration, click VM/Host Rules.
  4. Click Add.
  5. In the Create VM/Host Rule dialog box, type a name for the rule.
  6. From the Type drop down menu, select Virtual Machines to Hosts.
  7. Select the virtual machine DRS group and the host DRS group to which the rule applies.
  8. Select a specification for the rule.
    • Must run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 must run on hosts in Host Group A.
    • Should run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 should, but are not required, to run on hosts in Host Group A.
    • Must not run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 must never run on host in Host Group A.
    • Should not run on hosts in group. Virtual machines in VM Group 1 should not, but might, run on hosts in Host Group A.
  9. Click OK.
0 Kudos
estanev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's essential kit license.

0 Kudos