VMware Cloud Community
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Specifications for Vsphere Essentials (on vcsa) and Essentials Plus (on esxi hosts)

Hello All, and help

I have two vCenter servers license is vSphere Essentials

I have 6 ESXi hosts - license seems to be vSpere Essentials Plus

I have both of these licenses assiged in vCenter server. The Plus license is assigned to the esxi hosts (6 cpus)

The Essentials license in on the vCenter Server - shows as "1 instance"

It was my understanding that a distributed switch is only supported with vSpere Enterprise Plus (or higher)

Yet, my hosts, and vCenter server(s) have the "Distributed Swtch" option, i.e. dSwitch, etc. It seems I can configure a dSwitch as well.

Am I missing something here, or is the distributed switch now supported in all versions of vSphere?

Any info will help clarify,

Thanks,.

Oliver G

Labels (1)
  • h

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. If you have vSphere Essentials Plus you’re only supposed to apply that to 3 hosts with 2 CPUs each, rather than 6 hosts with 1 CPU each.

2. Try and add hosts to a vDS and see what happens (that’s the point where the license is checked).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for tip, will try, I forgot to mention that I have 2 vCenter servers, one at a remote site, and it has 3 hosts and licenses, etc.

Will try to config and see what happens.

Oliver G

0 Kudos