VMware Cloud Community
zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some basics questions about standard vswitch

Hi everyone,

This is my first time dealing with VM .  I have some basic questions about  standard virtual switch.

Please consider the following example

VM-----Port grp 1--Vsw1---VMIC1

1) Can we configure port grp 1 on VM to accept tagged traffic say vlan tag 20 from attached VM or port grp1 can only be configured as access port?

2) when setting up port grp1, if we do not specify vlan , tag none is the default, how does vSw determines what vlan the port grp1 belongs to?  for example, in traditional physical switch,  if no vlan is specified, port is assumed to be the member of vlan 1.

Appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Question1:

Port group can be configured access and trunk:

• Access: select the tag ID for a specific VLAN
  • Trunk: put the tag ID as 4095

Bu default, the VLAN ID option will be None (0) which means VLAN tagging disabled (EST Mode).

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Question1:

Port group can be configured access and trunk:

• Access: select the tag ID for a specific VLAN
  • Trunk: put the tag ID as 4095

Bu default, the VLAN ID option will be None (0) which means VLAN tagging disabled (EST Mode).

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Hassan.

Then how does VSW determine the vlan membership of the port? VSw needs to do layer2 forwarding, in order to that, Vsw, needs to know which vlan mac table should be used for forwarding, If there is no vlan associate with the port because the default VLAN ID option is 0, then how does VSW performs forwarding?

Just want to confirm my understanding:

VM1 --( sending tag traffic say vlan 20)-----Port GR1--VSw.

In above case, we should select vlan id as 4095 on the VSW so VSW accepts the tagged traffic , is my understanding correct?

Appreciated!!

0 Kudos