Win 2008R2

2CPU

8GB RAM

Disk 1: 60GB

Disk 2: 100GB

Disk 3: 2TB

Disk 1 & 2 are stored on Datastore1. LUN size 2TB

Disk 3 is stored on Datastore2. LUN size 2TB

Question is, will I be able to successfully create a snapshot, revert or delete if the Disk 3 is the same size as the LUN size?

Or will there be insufficient space

Thanks for your time.

W

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

This doesn't sounds like a good idea. Have a look at this : VMware Knowledge Base  and also this VMware Knowledge Base

Is there anyway you can add some space to Datastore2?

I wouldn't proceed with a snapshot if the disk is the same size as the datastore.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
wplecko
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks bspagna89

I guess I could expand the LUN to a larger size. Just wanted to ask community opinion with my specific sizing, if anyone actually tried performing such a task.

I know there are few different options to deal with my situation so I guess unless I have a larger Datastore/LUN (in my case Datastore2) the snapshot will most likely not succeed.

I have done many snapshots before with smaller disk sizes but never with a disk size that equals to the Datastore/LUN size.

0 Kudos
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No problem. I think it's the safer option if you can add more space. You don't want to risk the datastore filling up and going offline.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Question is, will I be able to successfully create a snapshot, revert or delete if the Disk 3 is the same size as the LUN size?

Whether you can make use of snapshots in this case, and for how long, depends on the free disk space on that datastore (or on another datastore, if you do some configuration changes), and the data's change rate while the snapshot exists. In case all disk space is already occupied (e.g. by using a thick provisioned virtual disk), then forget about snapshots. In case of using thin provisioning - assuming sufficient free disk space - you can make use of snapshots. Remember though, that if you are going to delete a snapshot with thin provisioned virtual disks, that additional free disk space may be required for the deletion to succeed.

André

0 Kudos