VMware Cloud Community
nettech1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Snapshot removal task stuck at 99%

Hi,

One of the VMs (which is part of the Veeam backup) is stuck removing snapshot at 99% for several hours. We canceled Veeam backup job and noticed 2 more snapshot removal jobs with no progress.

stuck.jpg

-000001-delta.vmdk has been stuck at 6.7GB for several hours, however we are seeing slow groth on -0000002-delta.vmdk

grep.jpg

VM with a stuck snapshot removal has ID of 36 (identified using vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms)

Would it be safe to kill the snapshot removal task ?

Is there another approach to solving this problem?

~ # vim-cmd vmsvc/get.tasklist 36

(ManagedObjectReference) [

'vim.Task:haTask-36-vim.vm.Snapshot.remove-449261767'

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nettech1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Snapshot removal jobs eventually timed out (I didn't cancel the task) and I was left with a VM that needed to be consolidated

time.jpg

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can kill the process by using command as you mentioned  else use ps command to kill the stuck process Like below.

Run ps command. If you face problems to find the running processes related to the VM please use grepe.g. ps | grep VM_name. In the below example, I looked for VM named:

SPDB1CEN-kill_task

Kill the parent process by running the command kill id_parent. In my case: kill 84695.

The hang task should be canceled now.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
nettech1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Snapshot removal jobs eventually timed out (I didn't cancel the task) and I was left with a VM that needed to be consolidated

time.jpg

continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Next time you recommend to kill a snapshot removal task please add the disclaimer:

Killing a snapshot removal task is a gamble.

Chances are that the damage can not be repaired !!!

So use it as ultima ratio only

0 Kudos