VMware Cloud Community
Antonythegreatd
Contributor
Contributor

Small backend datastore solution

I need a small economical solution that provides 2-3TB of RAID 5 space, runs on 10gig SPF, and is support for production environments.

I had a Dell powervault sharing a NSF share through windows 2016, but the performance SUCKED, vmotion didn't work, and I could not create new VM's on it.  VM support says it is not a supported or encouraged solution for production.

I have a very small (highly critical) environment, so I need something I can work with.  But all I can find are 10K+ solutions with WAY more then I need.  Can anyone suggest another solution or product?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

What about a NAS from Synology or QNAP with 10G SPF?

They're no quite expensive and they usually have VAAI support.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on an array I would go for a NAS, just bear in mind it's a NAS.

Other solution would be a vSAN cluster with 3 nodes but, if you only need storage then, a storrage array or NAS solution.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
Antonythegreatd
Contributor
Contributor

I am open to a NAS, but I thought that was what the windows NFS share was, and it didn't work out.  Is there a better (supported) way/version of NAS you could suggest??  maybe load redhat on the powervault and then present it ... how?  (My storage kung fu is weak, forgive me Smiley Sad  )

0 Kudos