VMware Cloud Community
jdefilippis
Contributor
Contributor

Simulating Losing a ESXi Host

Hello,

Does anyone know how to simulate losing an ESXi host to assess the impact on resources?  There are new workload vms that will be introduced into our vm environment and trying to make sure we are right sized for our currently environment. 

Thanks!

7 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

someone wrote a blog post for that

David Pasek's Profession Blog: What ESXi command will create kernel panic and result in a PSOD?

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you trying to simulate a hard host failure, or do you just want to see the resource usage with one host less?

In the latter case, you may simply place one of your hosts into Maintenance Mode, and migrate the VM's to remaining hosts.

André

jdefilippis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi A.P. - thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to see the resource usage with one host less without putting one of the hosts in maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Create a resource pool that has limits set to the equivalent of n-1 hosts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
maxime9001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

For this simulation try to use script for schedule ESXI shutdown.

check this link : https://vnote42.net/2018/05/14/simple-linux-script-to-shut-down-vms-and-esxi-host/

Regards,

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

What type of losing/failure/downtime do you consider to simulate? Which type of resources: Computing, networking, or storage?! There are many VMware documents for knowing the results of each failure type. However, I think you need to provide a virtual machine growth capacity planning in your environment: Capacity Planning Tools | Server Consolidation | VMware

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
jdefilippis
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Amin.  We would like to measure how much resources we have available in the event we loss a host.  Partially for capacity planning, the focus would be computing.  I believe the capacity planning tools might be what i'm looking for. 

0 Kudos