VMware Cloud Community
Brian820
Contributor
Contributor

Shutdown cluster for scheduled maintenance

New to clustering (VSphere and VCenter 6.7 standard not enterprise) and I have planned facilities maintenance coming up soon where I need to power down all the hosts. It seems like DRS will start sliding the VMs away from each host as it goes down. So I might end up with all VMs on the last host to power down?

I'm fine with everything staying where it is. No need for any migrations delaying the shutdown, or again on startup.  

What's the best practice way to do this? Disable DRS on the cluster before shutting down VMs, maintenance mode the hosts, then power down the hosts? Seems like there should be something smarter than undoing the cluster configuration. 

Thanks for any advice, and sorry if this is a basic question. The only relevant post I found was from 10+ years ago.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Brian820 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Well you don't have DRS according to your license? DRS is part of Enterprise not Standard.

Either way, if you have a full cluster maintenance, just power off all VMs first, then place the hosts in to maintenance mode and do your maintence, and then power everything back on.

0 Kudos