VMware Cloud Community
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shouldn't the OS datastore be hidden in vSphere?

Community friends!

I am have a moment of confusion. I never really paid attention to this and can't refer back to old builds at that point. Anyway, after installing ESXi on a host shouldn't the datastore that contains the OS be hidden?

PictureOfDataStoreOS.png

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When installing a data store is created in the free space thats left over, the actual os isn't in it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When installing a data store is created in the free space thats left over, the actual os isn't in it.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

datastore1 is the VMFS partition on the installation disk, not the only partition.

This should help: http://www.vmwarearena.com/what-i-wish-everyone-knew-about-esxi-partition/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sjesse​ Thank you! So its safe to say I need to lock down this datastore so no one creates any VMs on it right?

0 Kudos
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

scott28tt​ Thanks for your response. Same question for you: So its safe to say I need to lock down this datastore so no one creates any VMs on it right?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just delete it, as scott referenced, its an extra partition so if you delete it just goes away.

pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you! I will do that.

0 Kudos