VMware Cloud Community
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting server physical memory overhead in ESXI 7

I have more VM memory than my server RAM, where is setting to overhead physical memory limit in ESXI 7.0 ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure which setting you are looking for.

It's not unusual to overprovision memory on an ESXi host, because VM's rarely consume all assigned memory, so there's sufficient free memory to share across VMs.

André

0 Kudos
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

my server has only 32 GB memory and 8 CPU, I need more than 16 VM with 2 GB memory each and 8 virtual CPU each.

if I start more than 16 VM I receive error message "Failed to power on virtual machine U15. Module 'MonitorLoop' power on failed. Click here for more details. Maximum virtual CPUs limit reached: 128 (262144 worlds)."

I need to exceed this limit.

Maybe my first post not full correct, I rich not a memory limit, maybe virtual CPU limit. Or what limit?

0 Kudos
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Knowledge Base

I found solution, sorry

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just because you can doesn't mean you should, if you have

32 GB memory and 8 CPU,

you're trying to shove 128 cpus into 8. So take the 8/128, and each virtual core equals 1/16th of a physical core, in a 2.4 ghz processor thats 150mhz , those vms are going to be very very slow, if they do anything but idle not even sure they do. Overprovisioning is fine, but the idea is you'll never use that amount in most cases, this level of overprovisioning is excessive and your bought to have issues.

0 Kudos