VMware Cloud Community
burchell99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Server 2019 on ESXi 6.0

Hello

I am running vSphere 6.0 U3 and have a requirement to keep this environment for another year. I also have a requirement for Server 2019 which went GA last week. I see that the tech preview was only supported on ESXi 6.5 and ESXi 6.7 in the Compatibility Guide: VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search

Does anyone know if the GA release has plans to be supported in ESXi 6.0? The hypervisor remains in general support till March 2020 so i am hoping so but if anyone has any details i am all ears.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Going by the current information, it might be supported only from ESXi 6.5 onward (Cannot be sure till it comes out of Tech Preview phase) -

pastedImage_0.png

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Generally speaking, we don't know futures here, and, even if we did, it's likely we couldn't say. Just my thoughts here, but I think 2019 support on 6.0 is highly unlikely. VMware historically have not brought support for new OS types in an N-2 platform version--especially one that has already reached U3.

0 Kudos
burchell99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. My main issue is that Server 2019 is just a branch of update from Server 2016 much like Windows 10 are doing. Windows 10 Is supported on ESXi 5.5 and above.

When Server 2016 was released 2 years ago support was backdated to the GA release of ESXi 5.5 which at the time was 3 years old! The month after 2016 GA vSphere 6.5 was released so the system is fully supported across the entire 5.5-6.7 tracks.

ESXi 6.0 U3 was released in February 2017 some 20 months ago so to not support Server 2019 seems strange especially as the 6.0 track has full support for a further 18 months from today

I appreciate you cant answer and we don't know but I am stuck between a rock and hard place. We would be looking to upgrade to newer vSphere code in the 2nd half of 2019 but will need Server 2019 prior to this early next year.

Here is to hoping! :S

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Going by the current information, it might be supported only from ESXi 6.5 onward (Cannot be sure till it comes out of Tech Preview phase) -

pastedImage_0.png

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well, unless you want to contact your TAM or possibly open a SR and get a statement under NDA as to future plans, your options which you must socialize to management come down to three of them. Pick one:

1. Upgrade to vSphere 6.5.
  2. Don't install Server 2019.
  3. Install Server 2019 on vSphere 6.0 and accept the risk that it is technically unsupported. YMMV and so may or may not experience instability and failures.
0 Kudos
burchell99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Seems this resolved itself. I checked the comparability just now to find:

pastedImage_0.png

good news. not sure when it changed but that is useful

0 Kudos
cloudsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Contacting directly microsoft  also may also helpful. 

But I believe  that  server 2019 never support 6.0.

There are lot of difference between 6.0 and 6.5

also compare server 2016 and 2019.

0 Kudos
cloudsuresh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi friend ,

I can not recommend  the below step .

1. Install Server 2019 on vSphere 6.0 and accept the risk that it is technically unsupported. YMMV and so may or may not experience instability and failures.
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you'll read up you'll find a screenshot from the HCL that shows Server 2019 is now certified on ESXi 6.0.

0 Kudos
NHarms916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/59222
You can just use the Windows Server 2016 or Later option on the older versions of ESXi.

0 Kudos