VMware Cloud Community
NeedBOBA
Contributor
Contributor

Server 2019 Licensing: Can we license just one host?

Hi,

I'm a new admin to our infrastructure and I'm trying to figure out the licensing model for Server 2019. I understand how it works, but I couldn't find an answer to if I needed to license all 3 hosts. Could I put all my Server 2019 VM's on one host, and just license all the cores for that one host? Or do I need to license all 3 hosts in that case?

We have 3 hosts with 20 cores each, so I'm hoping to save some money but just licensing one host and putting all 2019 on that host.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That is a question for Microsoft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The PUR describes which server license type makes it possible to transfer to a new device after 90 days.  So just read it or call MS.   It makes no difference if you have Hyper-V or vSphere or something different. And nothing changed with Server 2019 because same rules apply since Server 2016 was introduced.

If all your Windows VM fits on one Hosts... and the VMs never leaves the Host you will be fine and every license type fits.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos