MichaelKirkpatr
Contributor
Contributor

Scheduled Tasks - Unable to edit resources (Memory)

Jump to solution

vSphere 6.5

I am attempting to create a scheduled task.  The purpose is to allocate more memory to a VM at 10pm and reduce the memory at 5AM the next day.
I go to Schedule a New Task>>Edit Resource Settings.  The following is displayed:

2018-10-18_14-07-54.png

I cannot see how I can change the AMOUNT of memory.  Even if I change nothing, and press OK, I get an error that some pages are invalid.  Correct them to proceed.

Is there another method to accomplish what I want?  Am I doing something wrong in trying to set up this Scheduled Task?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
glenatwork
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there and welcome to the community!

I think there a little confusion here and the wording from VMware is probably not helping. The Edit Resources scheduled task is to allow a change of things like Share, Reservations and Limits for Memory and CPU not Allocation, i.e. you cannot increase memory allocations by using this.

If you read here https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-F9DC9B18-625E-... then you can see the publication mentions what you are seeing at the interface (insert pasted below):

schTask - edit resources.jpg

To increase the actually memory of the VM is one you could script but will require an outage. Well... you can enable Hot-Add so the memory could expand but this is Hot-Add not Hot-Remove and comes with some caveats. Also please DO NOT decide to increase the memory allocation to something high for the VM and then control through memory limits. This will not give you the result you expect unless you expect to page the memory over the limit out to host swap file.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
glenatwork
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there and welcome to the community!

I think there a little confusion here and the wording from VMware is probably not helping. The Edit Resources scheduled task is to allow a change of things like Share, Reservations and Limits for Memory and CPU not Allocation, i.e. you cannot increase memory allocations by using this.

If you read here https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-F9DC9B18-625E-... then you can see the publication mentions what you are seeing at the interface (insert pasted below):

schTask - edit resources.jpg

To increase the actually memory of the VM is one you could script but will require an outage. Well... you can enable Hot-Add so the memory could expand but this is Hot-Add not Hot-Remove and comes with some caveats. Also please DO NOT decide to increase the memory allocation to something high for the VM and then control through memory limits. This will not give you the result you expect unless you expect to page the memory over the limit out to host swap file.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos