VMware Cloud Community
mistech213
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Safe to vMotion a vCLS VM?

Before I do it, I wanted to confirm that it is safe to vMotion (migrate), a vCLS VM.  When I attempt to migrate it, I get the following warning:

Thank you.

John C.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This may help: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This may help: VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mistech213
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes that was very helpful, thank you! 

Especially the following:

• When there is only 1 host - vCLS VMs will be automatically powered-off when the single host cluster is put into Maintenance Mode, thus maintenance workflow is not blocked.
  • When there are 2 or more hosts - In a vSphere cluster where there is more than 1 host, and the host being considered for maintenance has running vCLS VMs, then vCLS VMs will be migrated to other hosts if there are free resources and if they have storage connectivity (shared storage). If these VMs cannot be migrated for the lack of free available resource on other hosts or if these VMs are placed in a local datastore, then these VMs will be powered off automatically to give preference to the host Maintenance Mode operation. As stated before, vSphere DRS for a cluster will not be functional where there is not at least 1 vCLS VM running in that cluster.
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I created a list of all questions and considerations around vCLS which I have seen so far:

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2020/10/09/vmware-vsphere-clustering-services-vcls-considerations-quest...

0 Kudos
GLOSIAN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This didn't work for me, the article you postd "suggests" that you can vMotion but doing so fails.

Trying to enter the Host into maintenance mode fails because the vCLS vm is still running and now will not migrate to another host?

is there something i'm missing here, do i need to power the VM down first?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@GLOSIAN wrote:

This didn't work for me, the article you postd "suggests" that you can vMotion but doing so fails.

Trying to enter the Host into maintenance mode fails because the vCLS vm is still running and now will not migrate to another host?

is there something i'm missing here, do i need to power the VM down first?

normally you don't need to power them off, unless the VMs are stored on the "host local" vmfs datastore, this would make it impossible to vmotion them.

0 Kudos