VMware Cloud Community
orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SVGA disabling SVGA after Freeze REBOOT

I am using esxi 6.7 and vCenter  VM is windows server 2003.

I see the log "SVGA disabling SVGA" after Freeze then REBOOT

I attached the log. How to disable the " SVGA disabling SVGA " And I couldn't install the Vmware tools for this vm.

Please help me...

Regards,

6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Some important facts you forgot to mention:

- you seem to run a Windows guest

- you enabled 3d support

-you run  vHardware 9

- 8 cpus

- 4 gb RAM

and you set

guestOS = "other-64"

That is not a configuration with which you can expect flawless video performance.

Which guestOS are you running ?

Does the guest allow a screenresolution of

Resolution_Set 1920 836

?

orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running OS windows server 2003 32 bit.

I don't know exactly:  "guest allow a screenresolution of Resolution_Set 1920 836"

Sorry new here.

Thanks for your reply, and hope you solve this problem bro

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please reconfigure your virtual machine so that ESXi knows that the guest OS is "Windows Server 2003".  That will allow you to install VMware Tools and will probably allow the guest OS to function normally.  It is currently set to "Other 64-bit", in which case ESXi will not know which VMware Tools image to use, and ESXi will not use the compatibility support options needed for Windows guests.  Find that in the VM settings, and change it to Windows Server 2003, and see if it works.

Thanks,

--

Darius

orgilplus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I set guest os as Windows server 2003 and installed older vmware tools. But still no luck, vm crashes every hour...

What can I else to do?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The "SVGA Disabling SVGA" lines result from a Windows BSOD.  The BSOD details are in the vmware.log:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage

to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,

restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow

these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.

If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer

for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware

or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart

your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then

select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000,0xD0000002,0x00000000,0xB97168ED)

***     tcpip.sys - Address B97168ED base at B9700000, DateStamp 45d6a075

A fault in tcpip.sys suggests that the problem is related to networking, and the cause of the fault is likely to be network-related.

Sometimes faults in tcpip.sys are caused by a malicious attempt to take control of the machine over the network.  Is this VM exposed to the Internet?  Is there a possibility that the VM – or another host on the same network – is infected with malicious software (malware) which could be trying to attack your Windows Server 2003 VM?  If possible, maybe try running the VM with the network card disconnected for a few hours, just to see if the crash occurs without any input from the network.  If it does still crash, please post the latest vmware.log back here and I'll take a look.

EDIT: Oh, and of course make sure that you have installed all available updates, assuming that those updates are still available for this rather old operating system.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Darius

this VM started its life as a physical machine.

Looks like the person who p2ved it just barely managed it - no attempts were made to clean up no longer available "real" hardware drivers.

It still had a real VGA drivers enabled and actually it was a surprise that it worked at all.

After the amd pcnet32 nic was uninstalled and replaced by an e1000 the VM stopped crashing regularly.

At the moment it still uses old vmware-tool and still has some physical drivers installed and active.

There is some more cleaning work to do but the patient now left the emergency department and we can expect that he can live out his life in peace ...

Ulli