VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL Always on cluster 2016

hi,

i have created 4 servers (2 in each dc) and installed windows clustering and SQL (all on vmware 6,5).  I have then configured SQL 2016 Always on across all four nodes on windows 2016.

The setup works and databases failover etc without issue.  the issue is that i get the error below on the cluster validation report

<server name> does not support the inquiry data (SCSI page 83h VPD descriptor) that is required by failover clustering.

i can carry on and create the cluster no issues and because the server is not using shared disks am i correct in thinking that this can be ignored?

my worry is that MS say its an unsupported configuration. 

Anyone else come across this or think its safe to carry on into prod?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I don't know the answer, but If Microsoft says its not support, I wouldn't move to production because you would need there assistance if it broke.

0 Kudos
paramoyoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Are you using MBR or GPT partitions for disks? if GPT try to remove it and use MBR.

0 Kudos
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the response but we need 2TB+

0 Kudos
paramoyoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How did you  create those vms? using template? did u sysprep them? I'm asking because maybe something is wrong with GUID the cluster is complaining about? so try to remove existing GPT drive and add another one (GPT as well).

0 Kudos
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

the server is sys preped as part of the VRA deployment, i even added three disks after the server was built and they also have the same issue as the 3 disks that are built as part of the automation.

thanks

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This might be a local disk and not shared one. If that is the case please ignore that error message unless you see validation error on clustered disks.

0 Kudos