VMware Cloud Community
DaveMitchell201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SDRS not making any recommendations

Hi all

I have a cluster of 2 nfs datastores with SDRS enabled, but in manual mode.  Both are 26tb capacity, with one 9tb used and one 17tb used.  So they are imbalanced in regards to free space.  I have reduced the space threshold down to 50%.  So in my understanding when i run Storage DRS if should recommend moving some VMs from the more used to the other, yet there are no recommendations.  Can any explain what is happening or what am i doing wrong?  screen shot attached.  (vSphere 6.5)Capture.JPG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You need to look at the advanced settings as well. In this case this datastore cluster looks every 8 hours to balance io aggressivly, and will only balance datastore space  if there is a 5% or more difference between them. How long did you wait, if you want to test it drop the time frame down to something in minutes?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
DaveMitchell201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Capture.JPGThanks for the reply,  I have been clicking the 'Run Storage DRS Now' button (see screen shot), but I can't tell if this is actually doing anything.  I've just reduced the checking time as you recommended, 60 mins is the shortest time and reducing the minimum difference down to 1% (but I think it should work with 5%).  I will see what that does.

The other thing I have tried is turning of the  I/O metrics in case that was overriding the space balancing.

0 Kudos