VMware Cloud Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Reverted to previous version now EVC error when adding to cluster

I just reverted one of my older hosts back to 6.5 U1 and now i cannot add it back to the original cluster.  Get the error "The host's CPU hardware does not support the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode. The host CPU lacks features required by that mode."  Can I disable EVC on the cluster, Add the Host them re-enable EVC without any issues??  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

look at this thread, please.

Re: EVC mode blocks new host.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the response.  What i was curious about was can i disable EVC in my current cluster then re-enable it after adding the host back into the cluster without any issues?  I wasn't sure if anything was going to get broken if i did this and i don't want to try until I'm sure.  Any hep is appreciated.   Thanks

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'm thinking you would probably get the a similar message trying to reapply it, and its probably because a vm was restarted before you revert back. What I've done in the past is put the host you can readd back into a new cluster, and migrate verything over to that host till you can evacuate a host and add that to the new cluster. Then everything else that won't migrate needs to be shutdown and migrated before they are turned on again. Then you can add that last host and delete the old cluster.

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

sjesse,

You think i would get that error even though that host was already in the cluster prior?  What happened was i took all 4 hosts from 6.5 U1 to 67U1.  After that found out that the R730 server is not on the comp list for 6.7.  So i reverted back and that is why the error started. With that said do you think i will get the same message?

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Most likely, I don't think it will hurt to disable it and enable it anyway, the worst that would happen is wouldn't be able to turn evc on anyway. I don't know for 100% as I've never that exact process, but it seems the most likely sitatution based on own similar fun situations in the past

0 Kudos