VMware Cloud Community
jasmink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Revert VM to initial state every day

Hi folks, 

I have a VM that hosts a specific app used by my coworkers on a daily basis. I want to automatically revert this VM to the initial clean state every day outside of working hours. I am not sure if a snapshot would be reliable enough for this purpose. What would be the best way to do it?

VMware ESXi 6.7 managed by Center. 

Best regards
Yaz

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Set the virtual disk to be independent and non-persistent once it is in the state you want it to remain.

Then power it on and let people use it.

Power it off every night and it will revert back to the initial state when you next power it on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

You mean keeping the OS alive inside the VM right? 

If its to wipe the VM entirely, you can use the solution proposed above.

If your intention is to clean whatever your coworked did inside the VM, keeping the OS and Applications running. (You don't have out of the box solutions for that). Using Snapshots is a workaround from the infra side, but I would recommend you to search for some software that does the same. (Like deepfreeze for example, it will revert the OS to the status you froze it erasing all changes)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos