VMware Cloud Community
spkamade
Contributor
Contributor

Removing the disk from a virtual machine fails

Hello ,

Seeing the disc not removed from the VM after the backup job is completed and seeing list of discs on VM.

Tried to delete the disc from VM getting error "Cannot remove the disk as one or more snapshot disk depends on"

Found this KBA: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145406 but doesn't have any fix on it how to remove.

One of the solution I found on internet is to edit the vmx file and remove the entry manaully, need suggestion on how to fix this issue to remove unwanted disc which are not getting released after the backup job completion.

Thanks in advance !

Kr,

Sandeep K.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I assume that the VM that you are talking about is the backup server, or one of its proxies!?
Can you confirm that you did not select the Delete from disk option when you tried to remove the disks from the VM's configuration?

André

0 Kudos
spkamade
Contributor
Contributor

hi André,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, This is the backup server and I do not selected the option "delete files from datastore"

spkamade_0-1623832779056.png

Kind regards,

SK.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The "manual" method that you were talking about in your initial post should basically work. However, I don't actually want to recommend this, and risk your data without knowing details.

• Which backup software (and version), and which vSphere version so you use?
  • What's the mapped .vmdk file's name, and where is it stored (in the backup server's folder, or in the original VM's folder)?
  • Which other files are in the original VM's folder (the command line output of ls -lisa would be helpful).

André

0 Kudos