VMware Cloud Community
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor

Removing Snapshots/Consolidate VMs Disk Files - Taking Forever? Is this normal?

Hi All,

So today my VMs gave notice that my VM disk files needed to be consolidated. So I am running the task and it is taking forever. Here is the thing.....when I looked under snapshots for the host, there were none listed. In fact, I had run an update 48 hours earlier and set the option to auto delete the snapshot after 48 hours, which it did. Then I got the message about consolidation. It has been running for 3 hours now, and it is only at 38%. I have 500GB free space and nothing else seems to be an issue. Is this normal?

I am also running a job to remove virtual disks for another VM which is also running at about the same performance?

I am being patient, but I am growing nervous that something is not running correctly or I may wake up to a crash?

Thoughts for this shameful novice? Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, no snapshots are listed but consolidating takes forever? Depending on the size of your vDisks the performance of your storage(s) consolidating may take a (very) long time. And it takes even longer when you run many of these jobs parallel because the resources are shared means 2 jobs results in 50% of performance per job.

There is nothing to worry about if there is still progress except your datastore(s) runs out of space.

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor

No, I am actually showing that I have 100GB more space now than when I started. I think that is the from the remove snapshot task I started for the one VM.

I am just worried it will not be complete by morning. I had no idea that this would run so long. Crazy.

0 Kudos