Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remove HDD

Vcenter/Vsphere 6.0 U2

I have a VM that contains these HDD:

Hard disk 1:   [datastorename] server2/server2.vmdk

Hard disk 2:   [datastorename] server2/server2_1.vmdk

Hard disk 3:   [datastorename] server2/server.vmdk

I built a new VM called ‘server2’ to replace a server called ‘server’.  When ‘server2’ was built, as you see above, the VMDK’s were named ‘server2’. Once the old server was taken offline, I renamed the new server to ‘server’, but of course the vmdk’s did not get renamed.

A few days ago I added HDD3, hence its name ‘server.vmdk’.

I need to delete HDD2. Will there be any issues doing so with the filenames being as they are?  I would end up with server2.vmdk & server.vmdk.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There won't be any issues per se, but you may want to adopt a little better naming standard to make identifying disks a bit easier. If you rename a VM and want the member disks to also be renamed, you'll need to perform a storage vMotion to a different datastore. Once complete, all files should reflect the current name of the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There won't be any issues per se, but you may want to adopt a little better naming standard to make identifying disks a bit easier. If you rename a VM and want the member disks to also be renamed, you'll need to perform a storage vMotion to a different datastore. Once complete, all files should reflect the current name of the VM.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There shouldn't be any issues with deleting the virtual disk from the VM.

To avoid confusion in the future, you may consider to rename the virtual disk  file(s) from the host's command line (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002491​) once HDD2 has been removed. If you are unsure, or have questions about renaming the virtual disk please feel free to ask.

André

0 Kudos
Meetoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies!

0 Kudos