VMware Cloud Community
CharlesNM
Contributor
Contributor

Remote Desktop Connection

When we restart a VM Windows Server using Remote Desktop Connection the VM server is no longer able to be access using Remote Desktop Connection.

We have to log into the vSphere Client restart the VM Windows server again than after the VM Windows Server is accessbile with Remote Desktop Connection.

Why is does this happen?

Thank You in Advance,

Charles Burch

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Charles,

Are you using Guest-OS or VMware Tools to restart the Guest OS?

I advise using VMware Tools for this operation:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.html.hostclient.doc/GUID-56A8DD08-8...

Is the VM going into a powered-off state when you try to initiate restart from Guest-OS?

This would explain why you would lose RDP connection (as it is off) and have to restart the VM.

I am not sure if RDP session can persist across Guest-OS reboot either way but please test using VMware Tools.

Bob

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check this kb

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
CharlesNM
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Remote Desktop Connection to restart my VM.  After the VM reboots  I am no longer able to access the VM using Remote Desktop Connection (from Windows).  I have to log into the vSphere Client and access the VM from there and restart the VM again than I am able to access the VM from Remote Desktop Connection?

0 Kudos
estanev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, sometimes the reboot process may hang for some reason - the remote desktop session is being closed and the RDP service status is stopped but the OS is still running waiting for other services to stop. I suggest you to monitor the reboot process and the RDP service status via vSphere client/web console.

0 Kudos
steveneashcraft
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get an answer about this.  I'm not sure the other people understood your question.

We are having the same issue.  VM gets rebooted and then I can't rdp into that VM until I login from a console using the vsphere web app into the recalcitrant VM.  Once I do that then I can rdp into the recalcitrant VM from everywhere on the network.

0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RDP service has usually very low priority in the Windows services startup order.

It's usually on the Delayed Start mode

If you have on the server some service that takes time to start (or you have slow storage), than you can wait for a while for RDP to start to work.

Please check in the event log how much it needs to pass since reboot to for OS to initiate RDP service start.

0 Kudos