VMware Cloud Community
NetSystem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Regarding NIC teaming on ESXI

Hi all,

I have 2 Dell server and one huawei switch. I configured NIC teaming (2 uplink ports, both active/active) in each server, where these servers connect to Huawei Switch s5700.

On switch, I have configured all 4 ports to access port with same vlan. So, when one VM of one server communicates to other VM of other server, packets seemed to be doubled. I tried changing one NIC to be active and other be on Standby, but the issue still reside.

So for resolving this issue, should I use LACP in switch and similarly configure LACP using Virtual distributed switch using vcenter on both ESXI host? But I am not that familiar to distributed switch configuration as well, so could anyone suggest what can be done for this case?

Regards,

Anuj

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NetSystem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue is resolved now.

Previously, the load balancing in nic teaming was configured as 'Route based on IP hash' which caused the UDP packets to duplicate. Now, I changed it to 'Route based on originating Port ID', so no duplication happened.

Thank you all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AntareSLyu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LACP is only supported by vDS, you may config LACP by the following KB.

LACP Configuration in vSphere 6

VCIX-NV & DCV | VCAP-CMA & DTM | VCP-DW
Wechat: love5plus7
0 Kudos
NetSystem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I will try that as well...

But what i have not understood is how both nics on a server are receiving packets, as one is configured as active and other as standby nic.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Show your ESXi host networking configuration, please.

0 Kudos
NetSystem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue is resolved now.

Previously, the load balancing in nic teaming was configured as 'Route based on IP hash' which caused the UDP packets to duplicate. Now, I changed it to 'Route based on originating Port ID', so no duplication happened.

Thank you all.

0 Kudos