VMware Cloud Community
cycloxr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recovering ESXi Datastorage and VM Hosts after hardware failure

Hello,

We had a Dell R610 which had a VMWare ESXi 6.5u1 host running on a Raid 5 configuration.  Unfortunately the R610 this was on died and we had to replace with a new system.   I am in the process of trying to recover some of the data so I can migrate it over to the new system but am having some issues.  I pulled the old drives and placed into another R610 with the hope that I could just power up and begin pulling data from the VM Hosts.   I'm able to load up VMWare ESXi and log into the vSphere web client but the VM is not loading properly and the datastore is also not mounting although I do see the device and partitions.   Is there a way to mount that existing datastore so I can load the VM from it? I only see a way to create a fully new datastore (deleting the old one) or extending it.

2019-04-09_12-47-53.png

2019-04-09_12-48-31.png

2019-04-09_12-48-08.png

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello
first of all check wether the datastore is detected as a snapshot.
See VMware Knowledge Base
If that does not help to mount the datastore I would suggest to create a VMFS-header-dump as I describe here:
Create a VMFS-Header-dump using an ESXi-Host in production | VM-Sickbay
With such a dump I can tell you wether there is a chance to recover the VMs manually.
Ulli

View solution in original post

3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello
first of all check wether the datastore is detected as a snapshot.
See VMware Knowledge Base
If that does not help to mount the datastore I would suggest to create a VMFS-header-dump as I describe here:
Create a VMFS-Header-dump using an ESXi-Host in production | VM-Sickbay
With such a dump I can tell you wether there is a chance to recover the VMs manually.
Ulli

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You have to enter the PERC menu and import the foreign RAID config from the drives assumed the drives are healthy.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
cycloxr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this worked! Thank you.

0 Kudos