VMware Cloud Community
Success3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Question about SSH'ing

Hello,

Say I've got a ESXi 5.5 host that is joined to the domain. My user account is a member of Domain Admins as well as ESX Admins group within active directory.

I enabled SSH on my host and log in using my AD credentials. I am automatically dropped in with root privileges - is this by design? Is there anyway have this configured where instead of root I am a regular user that can become root by using the ESXi root account credentials?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

AFAIK, since you are part of the admin group, root access will be there. You might have to play around with ESXi custom roles and assign the required role to those users who should not be having root privileges.

Using Roles to Assign Privileges

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

AFAIK, since you are part of the admin group, root access will be there. You might have to play around with ESXi custom roles and assign the required role to those users who should not be having root privileges.

Using Roles to Assign Privileges

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
arieldaveport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can follow these steps to enable RBAC/shell access for a user. Grant shell access to this user? No worries mate! - VMware vSphere Blog

-Ariel
0 Kudos