VMware Cloud Community
bully79
Contributor
Contributor

Question Regarding Ephemeral Ports

Hi Guys,

I am going to be proceeding with the upgrade of Vcenter soon and I have seen various topics mentioned about creating ephemeral ports on a DSswitch in case a restore is needed, and losing access to it.

Would It be best for me to create an ephemeral port on the DSswitch and assigning it to the management uplinks as a precaution?. Obviously I will backup using Veeeam and VAMI

Sorry as my knowledge is not sharp on Ephem ports. Your expert advice is really appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Not bad to looking to the following links ... may them help you to decide with more knowledge

Ephemeral ports? | Yellow Bricks

VMware Knowledge Base

Port binding: dynamic vs. ephemeral

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

The important one to read is the one Amin posted

Ephemeral ports? | Yellow Bricks

if vcenter goes down and you have static port binding you can't change anything, emphemeral lets you . I just have one in our environment for the vcenter vlan just incase.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yes it is very usefull to use a emphemeral style portgroup for vCenter.  The emphemeral port group is "visable/usable" when connecting directly to a ESXi hosts in the case that your vCenter is down and having some kind of disaster.

Regards,
Joerg

bully79
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying.

So my next question Joerg is can I leave an ephemeral port group attached to the switch all the time, just in case.

Also would this port group just need to be attached to the uplinks that contain all the esx hosts management vmnics?.

0 Kudos