VMware Cloud Community
dstuds724
Contributor
Contributor

Query about snapshot

Hi All,

I have a query about snapshot.

In a scenario, i take a snapshot and install some patches to the guest os. then i take the 2nd snapshot and install microsoft office. After that i take 3rd snapshot, open microsoft word, edit it and save it.

now i discover some problems with the patch which i had installed and want to remove it.

so can i remove the patches and keep the word document which i have saved after the 3rd snapshot?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you revert to the pre-patch snapshot Word won't even be installed.

However, if you separate the system disk (OS and apps) from the data disk (where you save your file) then you could make the data disk "independent".

The VM would need 2 virtual disks, the data disk set as "independent" which means it would NOT be part of the VM snapshot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dstuds724
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you scott28tt.

Can you say the procedure of how to separate the system disk and data disk.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's actually what Scott said:

The VM would need 2 virtual disks, the data disk set as "independent" which means it would NOT be part of the VM snapshot.

You can add a new virtual disk in the VM's settings, and then configure/format it from within the guest OS.

André

0 Kudos