VMware Cloud Community
ajlassi123
Contributor
Contributor

Purple screen on ESXi 6.5.0 build 5969383

Dear experts,

Recently, I got several purple screen on our running production ESXi 6.5 server.

After restarting the server is functional but after 2 days server is crashed again (same error).

Version: Cisco-ESXi-6.5U1 build 6765664

Server: Cisco UCS 5108 Server Blade

Anybody faced the same and any resolution?

Thanks.

The purple screen was attached.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The first thing to do is to check the server hardware logs. If there are problems they should be solved.
If it is possible to update the server firmware, this should be done at least once a year to avoid surprises. Of course if there are new versions.
It would also be good to upgrade the ESXi host to uptade 3 at least.

Attached is a link where to get the updates: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch#search

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ajlassi123
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I'm checked the server hardware is fine 

you can find the attached the file  log ESXi.

Can you help and thanks.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
I suggest you upgrade the ESXi host to update 3, I attach link for your review

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67774

If you have vcenter server, verify that your version can manage and support ESXi host with 6.5 Update3. Otherwise you should upgrade your vcenter server before ESXi host.

https://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
ajlassi123
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for response, 

what is root cause of problem?

is the problem solved by upgrading?

0 Kudos
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HI @ajlassi123,

for some more detailed, official instructions and analysis (with the coredump provided) I'd recommend raising an official SR.

The stacktrace looks a bit the same as in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/50357, at least some of the same code functions involved. This one was fixed in ESXi 6.5 Patch 2, and I also can see a note that there might be similar PSOD which was addressed in 6.5 Update 3, maybe that's where the suggestion to update comes from.

However you seem to run ESXi 6.5.0 U1 from mid-2017. So updating might be a good idea anyway. Verify the supportability with your hardware model and driver/firmware as well.

Regards,
Patrik

0 Kudos
Watson5899
Contributor
Contributor

Follow the steps I hope it might be helpful to you: 

Analyze the purple screen message. One of the most important things to do when you have a PSOD is to take a screenshot. ...

1. Contact VMware support. ... myloweslife
  2. Reboot the affected ESXi host. ...
  3. Get the core dump. ...
  4. Decipher the error. ...
  5. Check logs.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Cause
hbr_filter searches for a whole contiguous region in the transfer bitmap. This usually works well when the regions are small. When the regions are large enough (for ex. when full syncing large disk with checksumming disabled), iterating them may result in  PSOD  (because the disk lock is held for long time, this way exceeding the spin count of other contending cpu's)

Impact / Risks
Stopping the replication of VM that caused the crash.

Resolution
This issue is resolved in VMware vSphere ESXi 6.0 Patch ESXi600-201909001 , ESXi 6.5 U3 and ESXi  6.7 U3.
Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos