VMware Cloud Community
D1DG3
Contributor
Contributor

Public VPS IP to internal VM routing to and back again.

Heya folks,

I'm very new to ESXi, vCenter and vSphere and kind of thrown in at the deep end.

-I was wondering if a solution like I'm suggesting is feasible within VMware's collection of applications.

I have a public VPS and have assigned some additional IP addresses to this service, I'd like to be able to assign some of these directly to VM operating system installs if possible within the backend servers on which whatever is transmitted via the VPS given public IP is then routed transparently and directly to the backend VM OS install and whatever is transmitted from the VM OS install at the backend goes back out via the VPS assigned public IP.

Does any of this make sense and feasible within the VM tools at my disposal, I was just assuming on the VPS I would forward all packets from a given IP to my backend servers and do the same to the backend pushing the packets back the other way. Maybe even assigning two vSwitches, bridged, one for incoming and then one for outgoing but I feel as if I could be complicating the matter and wondered if anyone with any serious experience would just outrighty say which operation would be simplest and best to fit the purpose.

Thanks very much for any insight on the matter in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mguidini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only kind of segmentation you'll be able to do in the vSphere network portion, is to assign different VLANs to you vSwitch and Portgroups and/or use failover/loadbalancing features that will assist you to choose the best vmnic to forward the traffic.

But, assuming your ESXi host's vmnics are connected to a physical switch first and then connected to your router, the traffic forwarded is going towards your physical switch ports.

You may configure different VLANs in the physical switch and most important you'll need to rely on your router to segment this traffic.

Use static routes, segment by VLAN, router on a stick, policy based routing, IP SLA, ACLs, and etc.

Long story short, tackle physical network portion.

There might be a way to do that via GuestOS as well, Windows, linux, etc, but I'm not aware of any solutions you may try.

0 Kudos