VMware Cloud Community
EBarton
Contributor
Contributor

Provision Changed to Thin After Move

Good morning.

I moved several folders to a new datastore using the Datastore Browser. I have a quorum disk and a couple other shared disks for a failover cluster. They were of course thick provisioned when I set them up, and shared multi-writer just fine.

After moving to the new datastore, when I add them back to the machine, it shows them as "Thick provisioned, lazily zeroed," but once I click "Save", ESXI is changing it to thin provision so of course I cannot share them.

Any ideas how to correct this? I cannot change it in "Edit Settings"

The only difference in the datastores is that the original datastore has SCSI drives, but the new one is Solid State.

Thanks in advance!

Client version: 1.33.3

Client build number: 12923304

ESXi version: 6.7.0

ESXi build number: 13006603

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AhmedIbrahimVMw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good morning,

Go to the datastore, right-click on the "thin-provisioned" VMDK that you want to convert to "thick", and choose "Inflate".

Unless this is a lab environment, please make sure that you have a valid backup of your date before doing any actions related to the discs that contain your date.

Refer to the following document for more information about what "Inflate" does:

Inflate Thin Virtual Disks https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-C371B88F-C407-4A69...

0 Kudos
EBarton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. All I get is an error when I try to inflate.

I give up. I'll see if I can copy the data to another drive and create a new one.

0 Kudos
Acry27
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ebarton,

Even if you shutdown the VM ? It's required to inflate

Regards,

0 Kudos
EBarton
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it was already powered off. Thanks. I'm just going to do it the old fashioned way.

0 Kudos