VMware Cloud Community
mj19922007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Providers list is empty in vSphere HA

Hi,

I'm configuring vSphere HA, but there is no provider in Providers tab in Proactive HA section.

What should I do ?

I have 5 hosts in my cluster and vSAN is active on 3 of them.

VCSA version: 6.7.0.42000

vSphere version: 6.7 U3

Regards, Mohammad
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HA without the Proactive part enabled and configured, is reactive it only does something if an host goes offline or is otherwise incapacitated.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You don't need to configure proactive ha to have the generic ha to work, you can leave that section alone if you need to, you need hardware that supports proactive ha. Usually there is a plugin or something you install in vcenter that setup the providers you need.

0 Kudos
mj19922007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for reply.

So why do I have failure here in Proactive HA ?

Screenshot_20200305_175740.png

Regards, Mohammad
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Look again, you don't have a failure. You have a notification saying it's automated but you don't have any providers to realize that automation.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you have in your image is what it will do if there is a problem, and the proactive ha one says its not going to do anything because you don't have a provider setup.

0 Kudos
mj19922007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So is it a big deal that I have no providers ?
What do the Providers do anyway ?

Regards, Mohammad
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its a newer feature that basically lets esxi look at the host and move vms of the failing host before it fails, so its proactive in trying solving problems. The provider is like a interface for the hardware health, when that's enabled you an configure certain types of errors that gets from the host and you can decide if that's enough to trigger has. Just do a google search on proactive has and read some of the articles, like this one

http://www.vmwarearena.com/vsphere-6-5-high-availability-new-features-proactive-ha/

and deterimine if you need it. I don't have it in any systems I manage right now, but may in the future.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HA without the Proactive part enabled and configured, is reactive it only does something if an host goes offline or is otherwise incapacitated.

mj19922007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for helpful reply.

Regards, Mohammad
0 Kudos