VMware Cloud Community
slk2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Proper order to delete datastore??

Hi Everyone,

I have a v6.5 Essentials cluster with each host (3 hosts total) using local storage for VMs. On one host, I want to delete a tiny datastore (250MB - it's a small SSD my predecessor installed and used for reasons beyond me).  The datastore is blank (save for a  ".ssd sf" empty folder). No VM is mapped to it.  The plan is to delete the datastore and drive and replace it with a much larger disk that can then be used in place of it.

In looking at a lot of documentation (and videos), I am getting myself twisted around.  Do I delete the datastore first, then unmount the drive or the other way around?  What step should be executed form the VCSA appliance versus the ESXi host (if that matters)?    I am filling myself with FUD as every additional article I read, I doubt my steps even further … 😞

I believe it's:

- Unmount the Datastore from VCSA

- Delete the Datastore from VCSA

Then I can shut down my host, swap the drive, verify the BIOS sees it correctly, start everything back up, then create a new datastore in it's place.

Thanks!!

Shawn

0 Kudos
1 Solution
2 Replies
slk2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, Unmount from vSpehere (the VCSA appliance) then Detach (versus Delete) from the ESXi host.  Should only be one host since everything uses local storage (every host has their own specific datastores).

Thanks!

Shawn

0 Kudos