VMware Cloud Community
Alexandr_Bogdan
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with connecting a network card in VM sr-iov mode

Good day!

I have a server with a PCI network optical card installed. One cable connects the server to the storage system, another cable to the switch.

There was one virtual machine on the server with this connection, I added another virtual machine to which I also planned to give the network connection via the optical channel to the switch (two VMs use the same network optical connection).

The network card is configured in sr -iov mode.

When I tried to configure the network of the second VM, I received a message that it was impossible to start VM with this type of license. I use the free version of the hypervisor.

Question: Is it possible in sr - iov mode with a free license to use a PCI network card for only one VM?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Question: Is it possible in sr - iov mode with a free license to use a PCI network card for only one VM?

Unfortunately not...  See https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-vs...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Alexandr_Bogdan
Contributor
Contributor

Good day!

Rubeck,

Thanks for your reply. I correctly understand from this manual that in order to use sr -iov I need to buy a license vSPHERE Enterprise Plus, or vSPHERE ACCELERATION KITS Enterprise Plus which is a separate type of license?

Why was I able to enable sr -iov mode for one virtual machine?

0 Kudos