VMware Cloud Community
campa4bt
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with snapshot, only on one host of the cluster

I have a cluster of 2 hosts.

When i make a snapshot from an host all goes ok. When i make the snapshot from the other host the vm fail and stop and i have an alert that i need to consolidate the disk. Remove snapshot or consolidation is impossible, until i migrate the vm to the other host where i can consolidate disk, and start vm without problem.

Where can i search the issue to troubleshoot the problem?

The 2 hosts are equals.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Have you tried doing a storage vMotion of the VM?
That might solve the issue

0 Kudos
campa4bt
Contributor
Contributor

All the VMs in that host are affected by the issue.

Now i have solved this after reboot the host.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Do you have the logs prior to the reboot?
Maybe we can find something there

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello campa4bt​,

Welcome to Communities.

"When i make a snapshot from an host all goes ok."

Are you doing this manually yourself via the vSphere Client, from direct-to-host client or is this being done in an automated manner e.g. by backup product (e.g. Veeam, Veritas, Nakivo etc.)?

"When i make the snapshot from the other host the vm fail and stop and i have an alert that i need to consolidate the disk."

"The 2 hosts are equals."

Sorry, but my experience in IT that no two things are ever really equal/identical - e.g. even if they are physically identical, one may be utilised more than the other etc. .

Are both hosts storing the VMs on shared storage or local-only storage (and if local-only, is one becoming full?), are you seeing other indications of out of space such as 'free up space to resume I/O' warnings? Please inform better of how the VMs are stored - e.g. are the snapshots being placed in the namespace (AKA folder) of the VM(s) in question or being redirected elsewhere?

If space is not an issue, is there any other general issues with the host that is failing basic operations? e.g. RAMdisk full, failing boot device etc. - vmkernel.log and vobd.log should inform of these.

Going back to whom/what is taking the snapshots, if you are using a 3rd-party application for this - is it properly configured to interact with both hosts and/or do you have a proxy-VM running on both or a physical backup appliance being used?

Bob

0 Kudos